29 May 2019

Victor Frankenstein

24 December 2018



Victor Frankenstein
  • Director: Paul McGuinn
  • Based on the novel by Mary Shelley, sort of
  • Cast: Daniel Radcliffe, James McAvoy, Jessica Brown Findlay, Andrew Scott, Freddie Fox
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Daniel Radcliffe – Imperium, What If, The Woman in Black, Harry Potter, December Boys, Extras, David Copperfield
    • James McAvoy – X Men Days of Future Past, Filth, The Last Station, Wanted, Atonement, Becoming Jane, Starter for 10, Macbeth Retold, Inside I’m Dancing, Bright Young Things
    • Jessica Brown Findlay – Winter’s Tale, Downton Abbey
    • Andrew Scott – Sherlock, The Hollow Crown, Spectre, Pride, Longitude, Saving Private Ryan
    • Freddy Fox – Kick Ass Girls 2 St Trinian’s
  • Why? McAvoy and Radcliffe
  • Seen: 21 December 2018      

       ‘The world remembers the monster, not the man… but somehow the monster is the man.’
       Igor, Frankenstein’s assistant, narrates this tale. A mistreated hunchbacked circus clown is dramatically rescued by Doctor Victor Frankenstein. He is cured and given the name Igor.
       Victor is quite mad, and fanatical about his creations. Igor is a skilled physician himself and a devoted scientist. They are forced to kill the first monster so Victor promises to create a man. Igor is reluctant and scared.
       It is dramatic, funny at times, exciting, visually handsome, and I do like watching these two actors. They give the two characters, well, character.
       Mary Shelley it isn’t but none of the other films have been either, not even Branagh’s though it was a noble attempt. This one is too. I quite liked it.

3 ½ * of 5 (Hal didn’t like it, he gave it 2*)

4 comments:

  1. Is it possible that you haven't reviewed Kenneth's "Frankenstein"? Unforgivable omission! I have recently seen it again, courtesy of my finally reading the novel. Pretty good movie, actually quite an improvement on the novel. Stronger characters, fewer digressions, more horror, more Gothic. I am not very fond of Kenneth's direction, the soundtrack is a bit hysterical, and I wish Frank Darabont (who much to his shame praised his own screenplay while lambasting Kenneth's final product) had come with something better than the final trio with the revived "Elizabeth". Nevertheless, terrific movie on the whole. Much underrated by people who complain about minor deviations from the novel or simply hate Kenneth and everything he does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems I've last seen Kenneth's Frankenstein before the film blog started! Time to see it again, I reckon, I quite liked it. But I also love the novel. Why don't you like that??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the novel. But I didn't love it. I expected more from it. I don't really know why, though. Twenty is not an age at which to tackle a subject like that. But maybe Mary Shelley would not have done better at 30 or 40. From those classic horror tales I've been reading recently, only "Jekyll and Hyde" lived up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's brilliant no matter what her age. But especially at the age of 20. J&H I haven't even read! Shame on me.

    ReplyDelete