30 May 2019

Night Moves

25 March 2019


Night Moves

  • Director: Kelly Reichardt
  • Based on the book: no
  • Cast: Jesse Eisenberg, Dakota Fanning, Peter Sarsgaard
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Jesse Eisenberg – The Squid and the Whale, The Village
    • Dakota Fanning – American Pastoral, The Runaways, Push, The War of the Worlds, Nine Lives, I Am Sam
    • Peter Sarsgaard – An Education, Dead Man Walking
  • Why? Sounded interesting
  • Seen: 21 March 2019      

       Three young eco-warriors plan on blowing up a dam. They don’t really trust each other and there’s friction.
       The film devotes a lot of attention to the details of planning and preparing, which isn’t especially interesting. Nor are the characters especially likeable. There’s no explanation of how blowing up this particular dam is good for the environment so it’s hard to see the point. Maybe that’s the point.
       It’s called a thriller but it’s not. I should like it – I like minimalism, the acting is fine, and I have a secret urge to blow up something to save the environment (I have no idea what or how, and I’m too cowardly, so don’t go calling the police). Sadly, though, this doesn’t work as well as it should. The ending doesn’t work at all.
       I did like the kitten, though, all three seconds of it. I wonder if anyone else saw it.

2* of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment