31 October 2022

Sweet and Lowdown

 

Sweet and Lowdown 1999

  • Director: Woody Allen
  • Seen by this director: Nothing but endless clips of his mysteriously popular films
  • Based on the book: no
  • Cast: Sean Penn, Samantha Morton, Uma Thurman
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Sean Penn – This Must Be the Place, The Tree of Life, Milk, 21 grams, Mystic River, Pauly Shore Is Dead, I Am Sam, Being John Malkovich, Dead Man Walking, Carlito’s Way, Shanghai Surprise, Bad Boys, Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    • Samantha Morton – Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Elizabeth the Golden Age, Libertine, In America, Morvern Callar, Under the Skin
    • Uma Thurman – Be Cool, Kill Bill 1&2, Hysterical Blindness, Tape, Les Misérables, Gattaca, Beautiful Girls, Pulp Fiction
  • Why? The cast.
  • Seen: 30 October 2022      

       If I had noticed that this was directed by Woody Allen, I wouldn’t have bought it. The clips I’ve seen from his films have not tempted me to see more. But with the cast, especially Morton, it might be worth giving it a try.

       It’s not. Penn is a thoroughly unlikeable character, Morton is a mute, Thurman is, well, I don’t know, I fell asleep.

       This will be my last Woody Allen film if I can help it, no matter who’s in them. 

1 * of 5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment