17 October 2022

Saints and Soldiers

 

Saints and Soldiers 2003

  • Director: Ryan Little
  • Based on the book: no
  • Cast: Corban Allred, Alexander Polinsky, Kirby Heyborne, Larry Bagby, Peter Holden, Ethan Vincent, Melinda Renee, Ruby Chase, Benjamin Gourley
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Larry Bagby – Walk the Line, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Why? Possibly interesting
  • Seen:  14 October 2022      

       My dad was a reluctant soldier in WWII, and he suffered physical and mental trauma for the rest of his life. For all my life I have tried to understand war while being an active pacifist, like my dad became. I have read countless books, fiction and non-fiction. I have seen countless films, series and documentaries.

       I will never understand, or accept, war.

       This film. Based on a true story. Four American soldiers escape a German massacre. They meet up with a Brit who has secret documents which must be delivered immediately. They set off through the snowy mountains.

       It’s not as bad as some war films, at least there aren’t a lot of drawn-out battle scenes (oops, I spoke too soon). But it’s full of clichés and platitudes. Maybe that’s what all war is. And of course, war movies are profitable, entertainment, you know. Macho building.

       When will we ever learn? 

2* of 5

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment