29 July 2024

E.T.

 

E.T. 1982

  • Director: Stephen Spielberg
  • Seen by this director - many
  • Based on novel: no
  • Cast: Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymore, Peter Coyote, Dee Wallace, Robert McNaughton
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in
    • Henry Thomas – Doctor Sleep, Gangs of New York
    • Drew Barrymore – He’s Just Not that into You. Music and Lyrics, Riding in Cars with Boys, Donnie Darko, Ella Enchanted
    • Peter Coyote – The 4400, Erin Brockovich, Sphere
  • Why? Curious
  • Seen: At least twice before. Now 27 July 2024 

People love this film for its sweetness. People hate this film for its sweetness. I honestly don’t remember what I thought of it the other times I’ve seen it.

You know the story. Cute alien makes friends with cute Earthling kids. He rides across the starry sky on a bicycle and phones home.

One hour into it and now I know why I don’t remember what I thought of it because I don’t think much of it this time either. It’s OK but it certainly leans towards the too sweet to endure side. It may have been innovative in 1982 but it’s just a paper-thin story with a few mildly humourous scenes and kids with shrill voices. Even with the the cutesy little sister (Barrymore, still irritatingly cutesy), it’s such a boy film. 

2 ½,* possibly 3 if I stretch it, of 5

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment