24 June 2024

Contact

 

Contact 1997

  • Director: Robery Zemeckis
    • Seen by this directior: The Walk, Flight, Cast Away, Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Romancing the Stone, I Wanna Hold Your Hand
  • Based on the book by Carl Sagan
  • Cast: Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey, Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Jena Malone, David Morse, William Fichtner
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:

o   Jodie Foster – many

o   Matthew McConaughey – many

o   Tom Skerritt – Lucky, Smoke Signals, Alien

o   John Hurt – many

o   Jena Malone – The Hunger Games, The Soloist, Into the Wild, Cold Mountain, The United States of Leland, Donnie Darko, Ellen Foster

o   David Morse - many

o   William Fichtner - many

  • Why? I liked it the first time.
  • Seen: Once before. Now 21 June 2024      

       Oh, I wish they would contact us in my lifetime! Meanwhile, I must be satisfied with sci fi.

       Of which this is one of the best.

       Astronomer Ellie (Foster), after years of listening and being mocked by nearly everyone, picks up signals from outer space. Not only that, but with instructions on how to build a craft for humans to come for a visit.

       It’s not only a great story based on the novel by one of my heroes Carl Sagan, but there is a subtle dig at male dominance and power games as well as the kind of deep discussions about religion vs science that I have with my religious friends.

       Such an intelligent and gripping film. 

5* of 5

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment