23 January 2023

Dear White People

 

Dear White People 2014

  • Director: Justin Simien
  • Based on the novel: no
  • Cast: Tyler James Williams, Tessa Thompson, Kyle Gallner, Teyonah Parris, Brandon P Bell, Brittany Curran, Justin Dobies, Marque Richardson, Dennis Haysbert
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Tessa Thompson – Annihilation, Selma, Veronica Mars
    • Kyle Gallner – Beautiful Creatures, Veronica Mars
    • Teyonah Parris – Mad Men
    • Dennis Haysbert – Good-bye Bafana, Far from Heaven, Heat, Love Field
  • Why? Curious
  • Seen: 21January 2023      

       Either I’m in the wrong country or the wrong generation or it’s because I didn’t go to a high-status university, but this film says very little to me for the first half or more. It does make some relevant points on racism, as promised, but not nearly as much as I had expected. Most of the characters are irritating, the love stuff is boring as is the first hour. A pity. I had hoped for something a little more sensational.

       I do, however, like Sam (Thompson), the creator of her ‘Dear White People’ pod. It’s worth seeing for her sake. Lionel (Williams) is cool too and the film does pick up so I’m glad I stayed with it.      

3* of 5

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment