31 October 2022

Superman II

 

Superman II 1980

  • Director: Richard Lester
  • Seen by this director: Robin and Marion, Petulia, How I Won the War, HELP!, A Hard Day’s Night
  • Based on the book: no
  • Cast: Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Gene Hackman, Ned Beatty, Jackie Cooper, Valerie Perrine, Sarah Douglas, Jack O’Halloran, Susannah York, Terence Stamp
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Christopher Reeve – The Remains of the Day, The Aviator, Superman and Superman III
    • Margot Kidder – Superman I and III
    • Gene Hackman – The Royal Tenenbaums, The Birdcage, Get Shorty, Geronimo, Class Action, Postcards from the Edge, Mississippi Burning, Reds, Superman I, The Conversation, The Poseidon Adventure, The French Connection, Bonnie and Clyde, Hawaii
    • Ned Beatty – Homicide Life on the Streets, Superman
    • Jackie Cooper – something, I’m sure
    • Susannah York – Happy Birthday Wanda June, They Shoot Horses Don’t They, Oh What a Lovely War, A Man for All Seasons, Tom Jones
    • Terence Stamp – Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, A Song for Marion, Valkyria, Wanted, Dead Fish, Full Frontal, Red Planet, Star Wars, The Limey, The Adventures of Priscilla the Queen of the Desert, Far from the Madding Crowd, The Collector, Billy Bud
    • Valerie Perrine – Superman, Lenny
  • Why? Superman!
  • Seen: Once before (maybe). Now 28 October 2022      

Same gang, same story for a while. The story is by the author of The Godfather (!) and directed by the guy who did HELP! and A Hard Day’s Night (!)

I won’t bother with the story. Is the film good? Well, if you liked the first one, you’ll probably like this one too. I did and I do. The deepening relationship between Superman and Lois, who now knows who he is, is rather sweet. And quite dramatic. It’s better than I remember (I don’t really remember it so maybe I haven’t seen it) or expected.      

3 ½ * of 5

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment