27 May 2024

Richard II Globe version

 

Richard II Globe version 2015

  • Director: Simon Godwin
  • Based on the play by William Shakespeare
  • Cast: Charles Edwards, David Sturzaker, Anneika Rose
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Charles Edwards – The Crown, Sherlock, Philomena, Longitude
    • David Sturzaker – The Merchant of Venice
    • Anneika Rose – Line of Duty
  • Why? Shakespeare
  • Seen:  25 May 2024 

       In London recently I saw Ian McKellan as Falstaff in a 4-hour production combining Henry IV Parts One & Two. My addiction to Shakespeare was re-ignited, especially the History Plays, which start with Richard II. If you don’t know the story, Google it.

       I have not seen the Globe version. I love the Globe. I do not always love their productions. How will they deal with this one?

       It is no easy task to make Act One interesting and comprehensible (sorry, Shakespeare) and sadly this production does not succeed. If I hadn’t read the plays several times and seen several film versions I would not have a clue. Very hammy, as well.

       And thus it continues. Mostly one-note melodrama with plenty of shouting. There are moments of genuine emotion, mostly from Edwards, but I’m sorry to say that this production does not move me.

 

3 * of 5  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment