21 August 2023

Lonesome Jim

 

Lonesome Jim 2005

  • Director: Steve Buscemi
  • Seen by this director: episodes of The Sopranos and Homicide Life on the Street
  • Based on the book: no
  • Cast: Casey Affleck, Liv Tyler, Mary Kay Place, Kevin Corrigan, Seymour Cassel, Mark Boone Junior, Jack Rovello
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Casey Affleck – Light of My Life, Manchester by the Sea, Interstellar, Out of the Furnace, Gone Baby Gone, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Hamlet. Good Will Hunting
    • Liv Tyler – Ad Astra, The Leftovers, Lord of the Rings, Armageddon
    • Mary Kay Place – Human Nature, My First Mister, Girl Interrupted, Being John Malkovich, Citizen Ruth, Manny & Lo, New York New York
    • Kevin Corrigan – Cymbeline, Winter’s Tale, Fringe, American Gangster, True Romance
    • Seymour Cassel – something, I’m sure
    • Mark Boone Junior – something, I’m sure
    • Jack Rovello – The Hours
  • Why? I liked it the first time.
  • Seen: Once before. Now 18 August 2023      

       Jim (Affleck) returns home to his parents in Indiana after an unsuccessful stint in NYC. He’s a loser and knows it. He has no idea what to do with his life. His brother Tim (Corrigan) is also a miserable failure. Jim’s comforting words: ‘I’m a fuck-up but you’re a goddam tragedy.’ That kind of sums the whole film up. It’s a good film to see if you’re depressed because it’ll make you think, ‘At least my life isn’t as dreary as that.’

       I like it.   

 4* of 5  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment