6 March 2023

Burning

 

Burning 2018

  • Director: Lee Chang-Dong
  • Seen by this director: Phantom of the Opera, Veronica Guerin, Flawless, The Client, The Lost Boys
  • Based on the story by Haruki Murakami
  • Cast: Yoo Ah-In, Jeon Jong-seo, Steven Yeun
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • None of them
  • Why? Rave reviews
  • Seen: 23 February 2023.      

       Oh, based on a short story by Murakami, one of my favourite authors. That’s a bonus.

       Or not. I just remembered that I usually don’t like short stories, not even Murakami’s. Almost an hour into the film I have no idea what it’s about.

       Two young men and a young woman in South Korea. I think we’re supposed to suspect that one of the men killed the woman. Some reviewers think it’s a profound statement on class society but if so, it’s too deep for me.

       There’s a nice cat though (it is, after all, Murakami), so 1* for that and another one just because. 

2* of 5

 

No comments:

Post a Comment