8 July 2019

Rain Fall


Rain Fall 2009
  • Director: Max Mannix
  • Based on the novel by Barry Eisler
  • Cast: Gary Oldman, Kippei Shîna, Kyoko Hasegawa
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Gary Oldman – The Space between Us, The Dark Knight Arises, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Harry Potter, The Book of Eli, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Friends, The Fifth Element, Immortal Beloved, Léon, Romeo Is Bleeding, True Romance, Dracula, JFK, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, Prick Up Your Ears, Sid and Nancy, Meanwhile
  • Why? Because I liked it the first time, if it’s the one I’m thinking of
  • Seen:  Once before (see above). Now 5 July 2019 

       John Rain is some kind of spy or assassin or something. Gary Oldman is CIA chasing John Rain and a USB stick. The Japanese mafia and Tokyo police force are involved.
       This doesn’t seem to be sci fi nor the film I thought it was. Oh well, Gary Oldman is in it.
       I don’t like spy films or mafia films or police films. I wanted a sci fi dystopian film. I wonder what film I’m thinking of? It too was in Japanese and I thought that it too had Gary Oldman, playing some girl’s father.
       Whatever. This isn’t it.
       With that said, this is OK. It’s visually strong, it has some dramatic moments and interesting enough characters, though they’re a bit too stereotyped. Sadly, it disintegrates into a pretentious mishmash at the end.
       What was this even about?

2 * of 5 (Hal gave it 3-4* because of its ambitious attempt at an intelligent international film. I can appreciate that.)


No comments:

Post a Comment