25 July 2022

Eastern Plays

 Eastern Plays 2009

  • Director: Kamen Kalev
  • Based on book: no
  • Cast: Christo Christov, Ovanes Torosian, Saadet Aksoy
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • None of them
  • Why? Possibly good.
  • Seen: 20 July 2022      

       This is the first Bulgarian film I’ve ever seen. I wonder what my Bulgarian friend thinks of it. Sometimes we surprise ourselves by agreeing about a film, more often we amiably but decisively disagree. On IMDb viewers are split. Some love it, some hate it.

       Two brothers (Christov and Torosian), one an alcoholic on Methadone, and the other in a Nazi gang.

       I have no idea if this accurately portrays this segment of Bulgarian society, but it brings to mind This Is England, which I barely remember.

       Dreary, dreary. What is it trying to tell us? Something important? Or is it just pretentious? It’s somewhat interesting though. Sometimes I almost like it.

       But only almost. Maybe I’m missing some important point. 

2 ½* of 5

      

 

No comments:

Post a Comment