11 November 2019

A Limousine the Colour of Midsummer's Eve


A Limousine the Colour of Midsummer’s Eve 1981 (Limuzins Janu nakts krasa)
  • Director: Janus Streics
  • Based on novel: no
  • Cast: Lilita Berzina, Olga Drege, Uldis Dumpis
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
  • Why?  Gift from our dear friend in Riga, AZ
  • Seen:  9 November 2019

 Erik’s old aunt Mirta (Berzina) has won a car on the lottery. She lives alone on a farm outside of Riga and she can’t drive. Erik (Dumpis), his wife Dagnija (Drege) and son come to help her, though they are not close. They discover that the aunt’s neighbours are very good friends. A fierce rivalry ensues, city slickers vs country bumpkins. More long-lost relatives arrive. Everyone wants to inherit the car.
This is a Latvian classic, voted many times as the most popular Latvian film ever. It is amusing at times with interesting glimpses into Soviet Latvian history.
But oi, oi, oi, it reminds me painfully of our three years living in rural Sweden in the 70s. I really really really hated living in rural Sweden in the 70s. And I really don’t like rural slapstick films. So it’s difficult to take this one to my heart. It also reminds me of Wes Anderson’s films, also not my favourites. Just not my cup of tea. I do like the cat, however, and the little kid in red. And the title.

2 * of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment