6 July 2020

The Godfather Part II


The Godfather Part II (1974)
  • Director: Francis Ford Coppola
  • Also seen by this director: The Godfather, Peggy Sue Got Married, Rumble Fish, Apocalypse Now, The Conversation, American Graffiti, Paper Moon
  • Based on the book by Mario Puzo
  • Cast: Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire
  • Personal “oh yeah him/her” reaction, i.e. have seen this actor in:
    • Al Pacino – Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, The Merchant of Venice, Insomnia, Donnie Brasco, Looking for Richard, Heat, Carlito’s Way, The Scent of a Woman, Glengarry Glen Ross, Frankie and Johnny, Sea of Love, Author Author, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, Panic in Needle Park, The Godfather
    • Robert DeNiro – Silver Linings Notebook, Stardust, Fifteen Minutes, Flawless, Great Expectations, Jackie Brown, Copland, Marvin’s Room, Heat, Frankenstein, Awakenings, Stanley & Iris, Brazil, The Deer Hunter, 1900, Taxi Driver, Hi Mom
    • Robert Duvall – Widows, Sling Blade, The Stars Fell on Henrietta, M*A*S*H, the Godfather and many series
    • Diane Keaton – Something’s Gotta Give, Marvin’s Room, First Wives’ Club, Reds, Looking for Mr Goodbar, The Godfather
    • Talia Shire – The Godfather 
  • Why? Bought the box
  • Seen: 3 July 2020

         Oh, the reactions in my FB group to the 2* I gave Part I. One or two agreed with me but mostly they were appalled. ‘Best film ever made!’ ‘5* of 5!’ ‘A perfect film!’ One even suggested I delete the whole blog. An offer I couldn’t refuse?
       Ooooo I’m scared.
       Several indicated that Part Two is even better.
       We’ll see, we’ll see.

The good stuff

  • The Ellis Island scene is good.
  • Pacino is good with the cold stares.
  • Robert DeNiro is so young! And thin!
  • It has interesting moments.
  • Visually beautiful.
  • The cars are pretty (but I don’t like cars).
  • Viva la revolution! Viva Fidel!
  • Jesus with all the money and all the other religious hypocrisy of the mafia is a good point.


The bad stuff
  • It’s still mostly just a lot of men making offers and threats.
  • There are more boring family parties.
  • I really don’t like these people. The Sopranos were also horrible people but fun to dislike.
  • It’s longer than it needs to be, therefore boring sometimes.
  • If we’re meant to feel sorry for poor little orphaned Vito and the murdering baby-kissing man he became, I don’t.
  • I’m falling asleep.
  • The background story of Vito Corleone isn’t very interesting.


OK, yes, it’s better than Part One. I can stretch it almost to

3* of 5 (Hal says 3 ½ even.)


6 comments:

  1. ”Oh, the reactions in my FB group to the 2* I gave Part I. One or two agreed with me but mostly they were appalled. ‘Best film ever made!’ ‘5* of 5!’ ‘A perfect film!’ One even suggested I delete the whole blog. An offer I couldn’t refuse?”

    Haha! Love this one! They sure are overreacting! Its just a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you deleted the jerk who suggested you should delete the blog. Anyway, let us disagree again. It has always surprised me that so many people put Part II in the same basket as Part I. Not even close, if you ask me (assuming you have nothing better to do). It's an excellent movie, but compared to Part I it feels repetitious and diluted. The story's weaker in the first place: Frankie Pentageli and Hyman Roth, indeed! The flashbacks are excellent, but awkwardly inserted in a movie that has nothing to do with the old Don. Now watch Part III. You may like it best of all. I think it's the weakest, and the majority for once agrees with me. You'll love it, especially the shoebrush on Pacino's head.

    Hi, Maan. Let me disagree with you, too. "The Godfather" isn't just a movie. It's a work of art. If it's just a movie, then "Hamlet" is just a play, "Eroica" just a symphony, and the Cologne Cathedral just a building. But yes, I agree overreacting is foolish anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to disagree. Re Part 3, maybe you're right about one thing, the shoebrush was the best part of the film. As you will soon see in my review, I didn't love the rest.
      As to art, it's like beauty - in the eye of the beholder. While I agree that all three films have some beautiful photography, as films they leave me cold, which art doesn't do. So now on to other films and other disagreements, and an occassional agreement just to kepp us on our toes.

      Delete
  3. Hi Alex! Yes i too think its an work of art! For me anyway, even if nobody believe it is or contradict tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell again, Maan, I'm happy to see the two of you agreeing. But though you present a united front, I remain rebellious :-) No more Godfather for me...

      Delete
  4. Perfect, Ruby! Looking forward to new movies!

    ReplyDelete